Extinguisher Servicing – A Matter of Life and Death
It’s easy to overlook those red, life-saving devices that are placed all throughout a home or business. They may sit there and collect dust, but they shouldn’t. Securing a service plan is one of the most important things a responsible party can do.
There are many parts to an extinguisher, and all should be checked when servicing fire extinguishers. Each one plays a crucial role in the correct operation. In order to put a fire out everything must be in perfect working order. Securing a good fire safety company is an important step.
The Parts of an Extinguisher
Knowing the various parts and functions of each individual part of an extinguisher is a smart bit of knowledge to help those who use them better understand why servicing fire extinguishers is important work, and why it should be left to the professionals.
- Tamper Seal – The tamper seal is important mostly because it holds the pin in place that prevents the extinguisher from being used. It also serves as a quick visual to let one know that the pin is in fact, still in place.
- Gauge – The gauge will tell the owner if the unit is still completely pressurized or not. Without proper maintenance the gauge can stick and give a false reading.
- Body – Dents, rust or corrosion on the body could be a sign that the extinguisher is out of date and needs servicing. All pertinent information in regards to operation, safety and ratings should be legible on the body.
- Hose – Hoses can be torn, frayed or show other signs of age or damage. To prevent possible leaks and keep the extinguisher as effective as possible it will need to be replaced.
Once one knows what to look for they can do a visual weekly check and know if servicing fire extinguishers is necessary between monthly visits by a certified fire safety company. There is definitely no replacement for what a specialist can do.
Not only do they know how to fire extinguisher servicing singapore service them, they are up-to-date on all the latest equipment that could benefit the business based on size, exit locations and a variety of other factors. They are trained specifically to be experts and know all the codes and regulations that must be followed in order to be legal and avoid getting in trouble.
Service by a Qualified Company
Fire extinguisher servicing should definitely happen at least once a year. This meets standards set up by government agencies. The procedure includes checking for the above-mentioned issues. The hired experts will check the manufacturer’s recommendations and instructions and follow them closely. Any servicing of fire extinguishers that are unfit for use will be removed and replaced. Here’s what they’ll do:
- Visually inspect the fire extinguisher for corrosion and damage.
- Check the safety pin and tamper seal to make sure it’s unused, and the pressure gauge reading.
- Make sure everything is legible.
- Check for blocks and corrosion in the hose and replace the O ring.
- Weigh and clean the extinguisher.
- Be sure the extinguisher is mounted securely.
It’s important to realise that different models and types require different servicing for fire extinguishers. For example, a cartridge operated or CO2 extinguisher requires different servicing. One may have one or the other, or both.
It’s not something a savvy business owner will have to be concerned with when they secure a good relationship with a trustworthy servicing company. It’s good to have a pro that has the company’s back when it comes to staying within regulation and hiring them for servicing fire extinguishers is a worthy investment to say the least.